Design Your Own Unique Floor.
Choosing The Right Custom Options: Your Rehmeyer Floor starts here.
Rehmeyer Wood Floors offers a variety of custom wood flooring options. From choosing the perfect wood species to embellishing your floor with surface treatments/textures, wood pegs, patterns and unique finishing techniques, you’ll find endless ways to enhance the appearance of your custom hardwood floor. Choosing the best wood species, widths, pattern and custom finish options can be fun but challenging. Below are some things to consider when choosing the best wood floor for you.
- Your style – Is the space being used for a formal setting, leisure or day to day use?
- Floor traffic – Animals? Children? Direct access to the outside? These all play factors in the type of wood and floor finish selected.
- Room size and budget – If you have a budget, let us know what it is, along with the amount of flooring needed and we can help you find the best option to fit your style and functional needs within your budget.
- What lies beneath? - Radiant heating, substrates and overall moisture levels are all factors that should play into wood selection and flooring structure (engineered or solid).
Available Wood Species:
Each wood species yields a different hardness, grain pattern, texture, hue and various other properties. Choose from native species such as Ash, White Oak, Red Oak, Cherry, Hickory, Maple, Walnut, Pine, or more exotic choices like Mahogany, Teak, Ofram, Sapele and Purple Heart. Reclaimed woods may also be available in Chestnut, Heart Pine, Maples, and Oaks. If you’re looking for a special type of wood, seen or not seen on our site, tell us about it. We’ll do our best to find what you’re looking for.
Solid or Engineered?
Virtually all of our floors are available in solid or engineered construction. Once you learn about each, you can decide which option best fits your application.
Solid, Tongue & Groove, Hardwood Floors
Rehmeyer's solid 3/4" hardwood flooring is kiln dried and milled to spec with tongue and groove, end matching, and stress relief (on the bottom of the planks). Our solid plank flooring can be stapled or glued to an acceptable subfloor. We can also mill solid planks without stress relief for installations where the bottom of the planks may be visible, such as in a log cabin loft or similar environment. Solid hardwood floors have a long lifespan and can be refinished indefinitely.
Engineered Hardwood Floors
Rehmeyer's engineered hardwood flooring planks are constructed with a 4mm wear layer of a desired hardwood, laminated on top of a layer of durable plywood, with an overall thickness of 3/4". The engineered planks are then custom crafted and finished in the same ways as our solid hardwood planks.
Because of the multidirectional laminations of the hardwood wear layer, plywood and resins, the engineered floors are more stable than solid plank floors and more suitable for installations above radiant heating systems, below grade, and in other less stable install locations.
Engineered floors are also better for the environment. They use fewer slower growing hardwood trees for each complete floor. The hardwood wear-layer is 4mm thick instead of a solid 3/4" thick with solid flooring, so we're able to get three times the wear layers out of each tree. While all of our lumber comes from responsibly harvested sources, the bottom half inch of ply wood on each engineered plank comes from faster growing, more renewable wood species. This adds up to a much greener floor, especially when finished with our eco-friendly hard wax oil.
Width & Length Selections
Wide plank, narrow plank, random width and single width are all available. Selecting the right size planks can make your room have less or more movement. Random widths can create more of a relaxed feel vs single widths that can create a more formal appearance. Depending on wood type we can mill flooring from three inches to ten inches (3"-10") wide and in lengths up to fourteen (14') feet. Other custom dimensions may be available. Contact us for more information.
Narrow & Wide
Herring Bone & Chevron Patterns:
Strict milling tolerances enable us to create beautiful herringbone and chevron pattern floors with amazing consistency. Although geometrically precise, these floors display beautifully unique effects from the natural arrays of grain.
While Herringbone and Chevron patterns are very similar, a key difference is the shape of planks used to make them. Herringbone floors use square cut planks while Chevron patterned floors use planks that are cut on an angle. Other pattern possibilities may be available. Contact us for more information.
Surface Textures & Accents
Bring your floor to life by choosing from various surface styles.
- Grain Accents – Highlighting grain and enhancing your floor with an aged patina.
- Distressed – The look of antique flooring with nail holes and other natural aged marks.
- Foot Worn – A unique texture to mimic the look of heavily traveled floors.
- Saw Marks - Some varied saw marks from the rough cutting process are left adding character and dimension.
- Wire Brush - Planks can be wire brushed to remove some of the softer grain, yielding an aged, weathered appearance. When used with grain accents, tinted hard wax oil, or other custom finishes, this can create very unique looks.
- Light Hand Scraped – Old world craftsmanship gives the look and feel of floors scraped as they were centuries ago.
- Heavy Hand Scraped – The same old world craftsmanship of light hand scraped is enhanced and amplified to create an even more intense time worn feel.
All flooring sanded and factory-finished at Rehmeyer requires some type of edge treatment. You can choose from the following selections or sand and finish on-site.
- Soft Edge – Slightly rounded corners, ends and edges define the outline of each plank.
- Soft Edge/30% Hand Beveled – A combination of edge treatments give a unique random appearance.
- 100% Hand Beveled – Authentically hand scraped edges highlight the perimeter of each plank.
Decorative Wood Pegs – To Peg or Not to Peg? That depends on your style.
Wood Pegs are offered in ½” square or round peg shapes. In addition, pegs can be sanded flush with the floor or slightly raised.
Choose The Perfect Finish
Why LED Hard Wax Oil?
Safe For Your Home. Safe For The Environment.
- Eco-friendly & hypoallergenic
- Easy to clean, maintain, and can be spot re-finished
- Cures instantly so floors are protected immediately
- Stands up to heavy traffic, perfect for high traffic areas and commercial applications
- Repels dirt and water
- Enhances grain and hue of wood grain
- Available untinted or in over a dozen beautiful colors
LED Hard Wax Oil cures instantly and completely when exposed to a special LED. Rehmeyer floors, finished with LED Hard Wax Oil, can easily be spot-refinished or repaired. This option is very popular with homeowners and contractors alike. While LED Hard Wax Oil truly enhances the natural beauty of the wood, it also speeds up production times and makes flooring with this finish more affordable than other options that take up more space and time to dry and cure.
Available hard wax oil finish colors are shown on white oak. Colors may appear differently from one device to another and from one wood species to another. For accurate color selection, we require customers to approve a physical sample of their unique floor before it is crafted. Additional colors may be available. Contact us for more details.